Our annual awareness event, National Bed Month, kicks off this Sunday (1st March) making it the ideal month to think about giving your grotty old mattresses the heave-ho and invest in a better night’s sleep with a comfortable, new bed.
A good night’s sleep does wonders and your bed should give you that.
Remember it’s about creating an optimum sleeping environment so you feel good and look good. If you’ve had your mattress over seven years we would recommend you consider replacing it.
Independent research carried out for us showed that beds as little as six years old could offer significantly less support and comfort than a new one, thanks to wear and tear not just from body weight and movement but also sweat and debris such as skin scales, hair etc – not a nice thought is it?! Take a second to imagine the amount of sweat and dead skin that is in there. Given that the average person sheds a pound (454g) of dead skin a year and we lose half a pint of body moisture per person per night, then I don’t think you need me to tell you that after around seven years you probably don’t want to be sleeping on the same mattress anymore!
If you are thinking about buying a new bed this month (there’ll be some great offers around!) then it’s important you look for the National Bed Federation’s (NBF) ‘big tick’ mark of approval to be sure you’re buying a safe, clean and honest product from a reputable manufacturer.
The new NBF Approved ‘big tick’ logo is only awarded to British manufacturers who pass rigorous independent testing to ensure the mattresses they produce meet the UKs stringent flammability regulations, are hygienic – and exactly what they say they are.
Here are some deciding factors on whether it’s time for a new bed:
– Is the bed seven years old or more?
– Would it be embarrassing if neighbours saw it without its covers?
– Does it make suspicious noises in the night?
– Did you have your best recent night’s sleep in a bed other than yours?
– Are you waking up more frequently unrefreshed and aching?
– Do you and your partner roll towards each unintentionally in the middle of the night?
– Do you have enough space to sleep comfortably?
– Is it sagging?
– Are the legs or castors worn out?
– Does it feel lumpy in the night?
If you answered Yes to five or more, it’s definitely time for a new mattress!
If there was ever a time to think about your bed, this is it.
Happy Bed Month!