When you are looking for a good night’s sleep it’s important to be relaxed – your state of mind has a major influence on getting to sleep and achieving a good night’s rest. If you find it difficult to relax, try these simple tips:
• Run yourself a hot foamy bath before bedtime.
• Prepare a warm milky drink or herbal tea for your late night cuppa – avoid tea, coffee or alcohol.
• Try and make the last thoughts you have at night good ones – happy relaxed thoughts really do promote happy relaxed dreams.
• When you get into bed, spend five – 10 minutes indulging in pure relaxation. Let your mind take flight, release the tensions of the day and just let yourself sink into a sound and fulfilling night’s sleep.
• Imagine you’re lying on a tropical beach, warm sun on your body, soft warm sand beneath you and the sound of the sea gently lapping the shore….
• Squeeze your toes for a second or two then relax. Try this technique working up your body for your calves, thighs, buttocks, shoulders.
• Now imagine your body is very heavy and sinking into the sand, feel the sun gently warming your body, listen to the sounds of paradise around you and feel yourself drift into a deep and restful sleep…
Do you have any other tips to help? We would love to hear them.
Lisa – The Sleep Council Team