By sleepcounciladmin on May 15, 2014
Nearly 20 years on from when the free booklet was first published, demand for information on how to choose a new bed remains as high as ever.
The new guide offers tips on why and when to choose a new bed; what style, what size and what price; how to try before you buy; and the types of mattress, base, pillows and toppers available.
The Bed Buyers Guide is available, free of charge, from our website here. If you would like a hard copy of the leaflet, please call our leaflet line on 0800 018 7923.
The foundation of good sleep is a comfortable, supportive bed, regularly replaced, ideally every seven years. And our month-long awareness campaign – May be time for a new mattress – is encouraging you to take a look at your mattress and see if it’s offering the levels of comfort or support that it should. Even a mattress that looks OK may not actually be OK.
If you’re not sure if it’s time to invest in a new bed, answer the questions below. Three ‘Yes’ answers and you’re not getting the best possible night’s sleep. Five or more and it’s time to buy a new bed!
- Is the mattress seven years old or more?
- Would it be embarrassing if neighbours saw it without its covers?
- Does it make suspicious noises in the night?
- Did you have your best recent night’s sleep in a bed other than yours?
- Are you waking up more frequently unrefreshed and aching?
- Do you and your partner roll towards each unintentionally in the middle of the night?
- Do you have enough space to sleep comfortably?
- Is it sagging?
- Does it feel lumpy in the night?