By sleepcounciladmin on March 4, 2014
It’s our annual awareness event that has been running for more than 20 years and promotes the importance of a good, comfortable bed for a great night’s sleep.
So if you’re thinking about buying a new bed this month (they’ll be some great offers around!) then look for the new National Bed Federation’s (NBF) ‘big tick’ mark of approval to be sure you’re buying a safe, clean and honest product from a reputable manufacturer.
It comes in the wake of recent horror stories about fake fire labels being found on non-compliant beds in well-known retail stores; and rip-off traders selling grotty old mattresses in cheap new covers from the back of vans. At worst these so-called ‘bargain beds’ could be potentially lethal fire hazards – and at best uncomfortable and dirty.
The new NBF Approved ‘big tick’ logo is only awarded to British manufacturers who pass rigorous independent testing to ensure the mattresses they produce meet the UKs stringent flammability regulations, are hygienic – and exactly what they say they are.
Here are some deciding factors on whether it’s time for a new bed:
– Is the bed seven years old or more?
– Would it be embarrassing if neighbours saw it without its covers?
– Does it make suspicious noises in the night?
– Did you have your best recent night’s sleep in a bed other than yours?
– Are you waking up more frequently unrefreshed and aching?
– Do you and your partner roll towards each unintentionally in the middle of the night? – Do you have enough space to sleep comfortably?
– Is it sagging?
– Are the legs or castors worn out?
– Does it feel lumpy in the night
If you answered Yes to five or more, it’s definitely time for a new mattress!
National Bed Month is a great opportunity to grab yourself a bargain as plenty of retailers will be offering some fantastic deals for the awareness event. Make sure you check out our bed buying or bed advice videos here before you go shopping though.
Say Yes to a new bed this March!