– You should replace your bed every SEVEN years
– You should try to get a minimum of SEVEN hours of sleep a night
Sleep really is the answer to feeling and looking your best. People go to huge amounts of time and expense to eat well and exercise regularly but without a good night’s sleep all that effort will be in vain. And the foundation of a good sleep is a comfortable, supportive bed, regularly replaced, ideally every seven years.
So here’s our top SEVEN reasons why you should try to get a good night’s sleep:
1. Stress: Busy family lives, working hard, housework, bills to pay – it’s a constant battle to try and fit it all in. So if you are feeling stressed, set aside some ‘me time’, wind down and get a good night’s sleep. It won’t get the housework done or feed the family but it will manage your stress levels, making it easier to cope and prepare for the next day!
2. Moods: Lack of sleep impacts on your mood making you irritable and have a short temper. Getting in a good seven hours kip will ensure you still have friends by the end of the day!
3. Impaired memory: A serious shortage of shut eye can diminish your levels of concentration and affect your learning capabilities. The more REM sleep we have, the easier it is to retain things that were learned the day before.
4. Decision making: As sleep deprivation mounts up, people start getting sleepy during the day, they find it more difficult to make decisions, make more mistakes, have slower reflexes and so on. This can in some instances become dangerous – especially if driving or operating heavy machinery.
5. Health problems: Sleep doesn’t just make us feel better, it can improve our health by decreasing the risk of heart attacks, diabetes, strokes and it helps us fight off minor ailments, deal better with depression and even tackle weight problems.
6. Loss of sex drive: Not only does the recommended daily amount of sleep make you look better and feel better but it could improve your love life too.
7. Beauty: Research from the University of Chicago found skipping beauty sleep will make you old. Sleeping four hours a night for less than a week hits the body’s ability to process and store carbohydrates and regulate hormone levels. These changes mimic many of the hallmarks of advanced ageing.
If you knew there was one thing that could relieve stress, slow down the ageing process, boost your mood, your physical and mental performance and cure a wide range of aches and pains, you’d take it wouldn’t you?
So go on then, go get yourself a comfortable uninterrupted seven hours sleep!
Let us know how many hours a sleep you get on an average night.
Look forward to hearing your comments.
Lisa – The Sleep Council Team